The Rating Scale Breakdown:
- 0 – 0.5 – Abysmal
- 1.0 – 1.5 – Terrible
- 2.0 – 2.5 – Poor
- 3.0 – 3.5 – Average
- 4.0 – 4.5 – Great
- 5.0 – Excellent
- Undetermined – Too soon to tell or lacking evidence to provide a solid answer
- Not Tested – Has yet to be requested or there is some limitations to prevent accurate test results
A. Installation AVG – 4.5 “Great” – There is no doubt that AVG has improved in this area 10 fold. I personally thank G-d that this time around it did not take more then once to install AVG Anti-Virus 2014. As oppose to AVG Anti-Virus 2013 that more then a dozen times to install on my PC’s. So well done AVG for getting it right this time. Better late then never.
B. Un-installing AVG – 3.5 “Average” – AVG Free Anti-Virus 2014 is very sloppy un-installer. But that is not a surprise to me. So has every other previous AVG version going back 5 or 6 years.
C. Stability Of Program – 5.0 “Excellent“ – The UI (User Interface) seems to have been completely fixed in AVG 2014. Along with the jenkey manual update option.
D. Has AVG Free Been Compromised By Hackers Or Virus – 4.5 “Great” – No reports of AVG being compromised.
E. Speed of Scan – 5.0 “Excellent“ – Very quick on most computers.
F. Updating - 4.0 “Great” – Automatic updating is fine. But if you want to manually update your AVG. Expect some slowness.
G. Does AVG Free Do Automatic Updates By Itself Without Any Issue - 5.0 “ – Yes, you can now with, no doubt. But leave the manual update option alone unless you want to invite stability related issues.
H. Internet Browser Cookie Detection Rate And Removal Test – - You are way better off with something like SUPERAntiSpyware or CCleaner that is more dedicated to removal of Internet cookies. AVG Internet cookie detection rate is terrible even with the option active and checked off.
1. Anti-Virus Detection Rate Test:
1A. Windows XP - 4.0 “Great“
1B. Windows Vista - 4.0 “Great“
1C. Windows 7 – 4.0 “Great“
1D. Windows 8 – 4.0 “Great“
2. Residential Shield Test - 3.5 “Average“ – I still find SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware seems to grab the virus way before AVG does.
3A. Anti-Virus Scanner - 4.0 “Great” – AVG has finally beaten their just average score. And that should tell you a lot.
3B. Anti-Rootkit Scanner – 4.0 “Great” – Great option. Works well.
Web Browsing Protection
4A. Link Scanner – 4.5 “Great“ – Not a fan. But it can be very useful to some.
4B. Online Shield – Not available In the Free Version
5A. Identity Protection - Not available In the Free Version
5B. Identity Alert – Not available In the Free Version
6A. E-mail Scanner – 3.0 “Average” – Utterly baseline and average. I found no use for it at all.
6B. Anti-Spam - Not available In the Free Version
7. Firewall - Not available In the Free Version
8. Fix Performance (AKA. PC Analyzer) – 0.5 “Abysmal“- If you don’t mind that you only can fix your errors for free once then great. But if you are like me and you probably feel this options is both somewhat misleading and out right bait to buy this extremely expensive add-on. Then you are probably with me on my conclusion.
9. Mobile Protection – N/A – This option is pretty much just a bullet point reminder. As you can download the AVG Free SmartPhone app from the Google Play Store.
10. File Shredder – 3.5 “Average” – I found this addition to be very useful. But lacking what Spybot – Search & Destroy or even Advance System Care 7. Advanced File shredder options.
11. AVG Direct Support – 0.5 “Abysmal” – With only a free forum and a phone number to call for support.
You will often find yourself ether being told to go to the free forum or they will recommend you go to further specialized support via Tech Buddy. Which like I said above is an epic MONEY GRAB. Completely worthless as well as falsely advertised and overally misleading to users.
My Overall Score: 73/100
73 % = C +
My Final Verdict - AVG Free Anti-Virus 2014 takes what disappointed me with AVG 2013 and up the ante. It is still not AVG 2012 which seemed a lot smoother. Also again this appears to clearly tailored first to Windows 8 and then to Windows 7. If you don’t have ether. Then you maybe as disappointed as I was yet again.
Till The Next Review,