AA. Cost: Free (But, there is a paid version as well)
1. Ease Of Use – Extremely easy to use. Once setup has been completed (AKA registration (Sign-up), mic, headset and or webcam have all been setup and adjusted. To you liking, it may take a little tweaking to get it just right. But once Skype has been setup. You can just leave Skype be from that point on. Unless of course you need to tweak audio and or video. Both of which can be done on the fly.)
1A. Interface – Very simple, clean and straight forward
2. Quality Of Program – Skype has improved yet again. This time with an overly dramatic blue UI (User Interface) face lift.
3. Speed of Sign-in – A lot faster then past versions. And a lot less jerky then past versions.
4. Can you run other programs while running Skype ? Yes
5. Can you leave Skype running without issue ? Yes
6. Is there adware or spyware bundled with Skype ? Yes, there is a Toolbar you can opt out of and a “Click To Call” Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox Add-on. That you can also opt out of. There are also some ads now that pop-up. I don’t really have any big issues with them (But they are really rather large). But it can be bothersome to some user. Who are not use to thous types of ads.
7. Is Skype Stable ? Yes, there is no question Skype is a very stable program. But it does depend a lot on the stability and quality of your Internet connection.
I give Skype an overall score of 4 out of 5 – I truly believe “Once you go Skype. You don’t go back.” Skype is truly a much better option. It annihilates it’s competition such as Team Speak or Ventrillo.
On A Side Note: The only major flaw of Skype is it lack of ability to host between 6-25 people. Such as playing MMOs like WOW or other such games. Skype is more of a personal experience. But since I don’t and I also don’t par-take in Facebook. I don’t feel I need anything other then Skype.
Major Skype Technical Stability Side Note: The Skype version and devices your using matter a lot. To learn more please read on.
*I have had some reports of Skype being choppy and audio quality being very poor. When connecting to someone with an out-of-date version of Skype. In fact, I had such a bad issue with my audio quality. I had to e-mail my mates and ask them to upgrade to this version. Thankfully after they had upgraded. We no longer had any more audio or video quality issues.
**But unfortunately stability, audio quality and video quality can vastly differ based on what Skype version you are using and what device your using it on. Again, unfortunately in this case it is trial and error. Not all devices will work together and not all versions of Skype have the same features as say the full release of the Windows Desktop version. Even the Windows 8 version has massively different set of features then say the XP, Vista and or Windows 7 versions. I’ll also goes further on the same note by saying the PS Vita and Android versions of Skype lack some key features and options. That the Windows desktop version has in spades.
You honestly won’t miss many of the features until they are gone. That or are hidden in some hard to find place with in Skype. For instances PS Vita version of Skype does not support text messaging, only voice. While Android seems to be missing some of the more common privacy and customization options the Windows desktop version of Skype has.
If you wish to download Skype please use the following link: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/
Till The Next Review,