SMS Backup & Restore (8.1.1)
Cost Of App: Free (Google Play App Store)
Is there a paid upgrade option ?: Yes
App Description: (See Below)
SMS Backup & Restore is a simple Android app that backs up and restores your phone’s text messages.
The backup is created only on the SD Card by default unless you configure it to upload to Email, Google Drive or Dropbox. You are responsible for backup files and the files are not sent to the developer in any case.
On Android 4.4+ devices, if you have performed the Restore and the messages don’t appear in Hangouts then:
– Open Hangouts and Disable SMS from Settings.
– Exit the Hangouts app
– Open Hangouts and Enable SMS from Settings.
– Backup SMS Messages in XML format.
– Backup created locally on the device with options to automatically upload to Email, Google Drive or Dropbox using the Add-On app.
– Choose a scheduled time to automatically backup.
– Backup format is independent of the Android version so the messages can be easily moved from one phone to another, irrespective of the Android version.
– Option to select which conversations to backup.
– View/Restore all Messages or only selected conversations.
– Delete all SMS Messages on the Phone.
– Email a backup file.
– The XML can then be converted to other formats, and can also be viewed on a computer.
– Tested on Android v1.5 to v4.4.2
Please note that MMS (Picture/Audio/Video messages) support is currently in BETA.
This app is ad-supported and requires the Internet permissions to display the Ads.
If you do not want ads the they can be disabled from preferences or you can buy the paid version from the Market.
On newer phones with inbuilt storage the default backup location will probably be the internal storage card and not the external.
This is because the phone reports the storage that way.
If you intend to do a factory reset on the phone, please make sure you save/email a copy of the backup outside the phone before doing it.
Lots more info at http://android.riteshsahu.com/apps/sms-backup-restore
FAQs can be found at http://bit.ly/d9t7Jk
Please start the app at least once after updates so that the scheduled backups start working.
This App needs access to the following:
* Your messages: Backup and Restore messages. Receive SMS permission needed to properly handle messages received while the app is the default messaging app on
Android 4.4+ devices.
* Storage: To create the Backup file on the SD card.
* Phone calls – Without this the Restore fails on some phones.
* Network communication: For displaying Advertisements.
* Your social information: To display and store the contact names in the Backup file.
* Run at start-up: Start scheduled Backups.
* View Network Connections: So that the app does not try to load Ads when there is no connection.
* Control Vibration: To vibrate the phone when an operation is completed.
* Prevent Phone from Sleeping: To prevent the phone from going to sleep/suspended state while a Backup or Restore operation is in progress.
* Test access to Protected Storage: To create the Backup file on the SD card.
Are there in App ads ?: No
A. Ease Of Use: 5/5 – Very simple one button touch interface
B. Security: No impact to smart phone security
C. Usefulness: 4/5 – Never lose that phone number or address you were text-ed way back in the day. Instead back it up. I woudl highly advise downloading this app if you are one of thous people who forget special events or receive a lot of text message reminders from your wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend (Or just plain friend).
D. Smart phone Slowdown: No lag
E. Type Of User I Would Recommend To Use This App: It’s very useful for anyone who texts a lot and want to keep a proper time line. Or if you don’t want to have pages of text messages on your phone. Instead back it up and start off a new. I found it very useful to store my x-girlfriends texts in back up. Just in case I want to remind myself why we broke up. It also helps not having your X’s texts on your phone while you are going out with someone new.
Till The Next Review,