Cost: $29.99 – $39.99 MSRP
- Approx 4-7 hours of extra Gaming Approx 7 hours of extra Video Approx 13 hours of extra Music (in stand-by mode)
- Compatible with most mobile devices.
- Maintains charge for up to 1 year
- Sleek and lightweight design for easy storage.
- Integrated indicator shows battery and charging status.
Now to start off. I pre-ordered this official PS Vita Portable Charger on Amazon.ca as well as Chapters.indigo.ca. As soon as it was available for pre-order. Which was for chapters it was about 2 weeks after the Vita launched in North America. But I had to wait much longer to see it become available via Amazon.ca.
That was not the only issues. I ran into. The date for release of PS Vita Portable Charger keep on changing and at one point. It was available at only 3 stores in the US.
The dates ranged from mid-March 2012 to May 30th, 2012. I ended up canceling my order with Chapters. Due to both a site stocking issues and a site glitch. That said it was in stock. but actually in fact it had never been in stock online at all.
So I ended up getting my PS Vita Portable Charger finally. A day after the Canadian releases date of May 30th, 2012.
Now right from the get go. I knew the PS Vita was gonna have a pretty bad battery life.
On the cons side. PS Vita Portable Charger does not come with any USB cables. It only comes with the unit. You’ll need the PS Vita AC adapter to charge it. Then you’ll need the USB cable that came with your PS Vita to connect the battery pack to your Vita to charge it.
So for me that was a pretty stupid oversight on Sony’s part. So now and I am not at all joking about this I have 5 PS Vita USB data cables. So I always have one attached to my PC or PS3 , My AC adapter and my PS Vita Portable Charger and a spare one just in case one of them fails.
Now, I realize I went overboard and am a little bit lazy when it comes. Attaching and de-attaching USB cables or even carrying around cables all over my house.
– No USB cables come with the battery
– Very hit and miss with what USB devices. You can use the battery pack on
– Battery pack can damage certain un-supported devices
– Battery life span varies from charge to charge. One time it will fully charge your Vita 2 times over. And sometimes it will just barely fully charge your Vita 2 times.
– The PS Vita Portable Charger can overheat both your PS Vita and the portable charger itself. So keep it in the open air and not covered.
– Can on a full charge. Charge your Vita 2 times over.
– Does extend your Vita battery life by quite a bit
– Very inexpensive when compared to replacement or repair of the internal PS Vita battery itself
– The PS Vita Portable Charger can also charge other USB powered devices. (But as I discovered. This is very limited and is to be used at your own risk.)