The Rating Scale Breakdown:
- 0 – 0.5 – Abysmal
- 1.0 – 1.5 – Terrible
- 2.0 – 2.5 – Poor
- 3.0 – 3.5 – Average
- 4.0 – 4.5 – Great
- 5.0 – Excellent
- Undetermined – Too soon to tell or lacking evidence to provide a solid answer
- Not Tested – Has yet to be requested or there is some limitations to prevent accurate test results
A. Installing AVG – 4.5 “Great” – There is no doubt that AVG has improved yet again. I personally thank G-d that this time around it did not take me more then once to install AVG Free Anti-Virus 2015. As oppose to AVG Internet Security 2015 (which we will talk about in that review tomorrow) took several attempts to install. So again, well done AVG for getting it right this time.
B. Un-installing AVG – 4.5 “Great” – AVG Free Anti-Virus 2015 is a lot cleaner un-installer this time around. Much better compared to previous versions of AVG going back 5 or 6 years.
C. Stability Of Program – 5.0 “Excellent“ – The UI (User Interface) got a beautiful HD makeover. No more glitchyness or jenkeyness in this version. As oppose to what we have seen in past versions of AVG.
D. Has AVG Free Been Compromised By Hackers Or Virus – 4.5 “Great” – No reports of AVG being compromised.
E. Speed of Scan – 5.0 “Excellent“ – Very quick on most computers.
F. Updating – 4.5 “Great” – Automatic updating is fine.
G. Does AVG Free Do Automatic Updates By Itself Without Any Issue –5.0 “Excellent“ – Yes, you can now with, no doubt. But leave the manual update option alone unless you want to invite stability related issues.
H. Internet Browser Cookie Detection Rate And Removal Test – 3.0 “Average” – You are way better off with something like SUPERAntiSpyware or CCleaner that is more dedicated to removal of Internet cookies. AVG Internet cookie detection rate is terrible even with the option active and checked off.
1. Anti-Virus Detection Rate Test:
1A. Windows XP – 4.0 “Great“
1B. Windows Vista – 4.0 “Great“
1C. Windows 7 – 4.0 “Great”
1D. Windows 8 – 4.0 “Great”
2. Residential Shield Test – 4.0 “Great” – I still find SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware seems to grab the virus way before AVG does.
3A. Anti-Virus Scanner – 4.0 “Great” – AVG has finally beaten their just average score. And that should tell you a lot.
3B. Anti-Rootkit Scanner – 4.0 “Great” – Great option. Works well.
Web Browsing Protection
4A. Link Scanner – 4.5 “Great“ – Not a fan. But it can be very useful to some.
4B. Online Shield – Not available In the Free Version
5A. Identity Protection – Not available In the Free Version
5B. Identity Alert – Not available In the Free Version
6A. E-mail Scanner – 3.0 “Average” – Utterly baseline and average. I found no use for it at all.
6B. Anti-Spam – Not available In the Free Version
7. Firewall – Not available In the Free Version
8. File Shredder – 4.0 “Great” – I found this addition to be very useful. But lacking the multiple layer shredding options that Spybot – Search & Destroy or even Advance System Care 7 has.
9. PC Analyzer (AKA. PC TuneUp) – 0.5 “Abysmal“- If you don’t mind that this option just reports errors on your computer and does not even allow you to correct said error. Even once as was the case in the past.
Then your probably are like me and you probably feel this options is both somewhat misleading and out right bait to buy this expensive $40.99 CAD/USD add-on. Then you are probably with me on my conclusion. That it should not be there in the first place. Try giving us features that are fully functional and at least somewhat useful like the shredder option.
10. AVG Direct Support – 0.5 “Abysmal” – With only a free forum and a phone number to call for support.
You will often find yourself ether being told to go to the free forum or they will recommend you go to further specialized support via Tech Buddy. Which like I said above is an epic MONEY GRAB. Completely worthless as well as falsely advertised and overally misleading to users.
My Overall Score: 76.5/100
80 % = A –
My Final Verdict – AVG Free Anti-Virus 2015 takes the drab look of AVG 2014 and cranks it up to 10. With a whole new HD (Hi-Def) UI (User Interface) experience. With the new look comes a more refined and streamlined user experience.
Till The Next Review,