(Last Updated Sept 4, 2010 @ 8:10 pm EST) Fixed Some very minor grammar and spelling issues.
Hello everyone Scam Watch is back and this time with an scam that can put you both at a loss for not only your words. But can also put you at a rather large loss of money and your memories. We here at the (CSW) call this issue/scam The Counterfeit Goods Scam.
What is the The Counterfeit Goods Scam ? – This scam is all about greed and faking it in a way that very few people know the item is fake. In this case the item is an entrance or will call ticket for Movies, Sporting Events and Concert Tickets.
So, what are the main problems with The Counterfeit Goods Scam ?
Well there are a few issues right off the back. There is the idea you are being ripped off because the item is fake “So paying for a non-authentic ticket”. Then there is the potential embarrassment and waste of your time that comes with a fake ticket.
This scam has gained an insane amount of steam over the last year or 2. The issues comes with trying to buy your ticket online from the best priced vendor. I don’t blame people for not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars to see an event that last for maybe 2 hours.
Ticket scams comes in many forms……
1. A straight up counterfeit or fake ticket. Often they turn out to be just a recipe or a poorly done photo copy of a a real ticket.
2. A ticket to the wrong event
3. A over priced ticket
4. Incorrect ticket related to seat you actually were suppose to receive. Such as base line sporting event tickets.
5. Duplicate tickets. Basically there was 2 or more copies of the same ticket for that seat. (This can be done in error or as a part of a much larger scam)
6. Wrong date on ticket
Ok, here is a list of some of the many ways I’ve seen to spot a fake…….
A. Mis-spelled words on the ticket
B. Does not have any disclaimer on the back
C. Does not have a hologram or hologram rubs off
D. Really cheap price (Pay attention to why it is cheaper)
E. Does not have the tear of portion of the ticket
D. Says receipt only
F. Says this is not an actually ticket on the face (People don’t laugh at this. Because this happens way more often then you may think.)
Q: What should you expect from an online ticket purchase ?
A: Well the bulk of online ticket sellers will not be able to provided you with an actual ticket via print out. Due to poor home printer quality and the bulk of tickets now have holograms and or other anti-counterfeit measures such as money.
So make sure you read the instructions on how to claim your tickets. The tickets should clearly say please use recipient to claim tickets at the Will Call or main box office for. Often you can pick up your tickets at the box office or stand alone kiosk before before the event starts.
You should never expect that the tickets you print on your home printer will be valid on there own. (Unless other wise stated. But that is very very uncommon)
Ways to prevent getting caught up in this scam:
- Try to avoid buying tickets from scalpers
- Feel the item ticket does it feel like a photo copy
- If it is too cheap it may be a fake
- Do your research
- Know what size and colour the ticket is suppose to look like
- Ask friends or family if they have shopped at that website
- Do a Google search on the event to compare prices for tickets and seat placement.
If you guys have any question regarding this or any similar scam. Please don’t hesitate to comment or e-mail us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
DISCLAIMER: The Computer Savvy Weblog has no control over the ads Google decides to display on our blog/site. Due to the fact The Computer Savvy Weblog is using the free version of WordPress. Sorry for any inconvenience or possible mis-understandings this may of caused.
Return To Features Page
Till The Next Scam Watch Feature,