Program Name: IObit Smart Defrag
AA. Cost: Free
BB. Is It Worth That Cost ?: Yes, with absolutely no reservations.
1. Ease Of Use – Just click and go. I would personally advise if you do use this program. To try to use the analyze option first before the full defrag. So you know how long it may take to run full scan.
1A. Interface - A very snazzy black border with gray interior with 2 main buttons – DEFRAG and ANALYZE (Both offer yet more options via a drop down menu). But there are also 4 tabs. -State (C:), Automatic Defrag, Boot Time Defrag, Report and the BRAND new Action Center Integration.
2A. Quality Of Analyze Scan Option – Very quick and accurate
2B. Quality Of Defrag Processes - Excellent
2C. Quality Of Defrag Optimization – Rather good. As I do not need to defrag as often after the process has been completed. It also tends to keep my PC speed at a very decent respectable level.
2D. Speed of Scan – Pretty quick, I find it on par with Auslogic disk defrag free.
3. Updating – Does not automatically update itself. But instead it directs you to IObit’s download and or mirror page(s).
4. Can You Run Other Programs During A Scan ? Yes
4A. Can You Run Programs During An Update ? Yes
5. Is There A Progress Bar? Yes, there is a progress bar
6. Can You Leave Smart Defrag Running Without Issue ? Yes
7. Is There Adware Or Spyware Bundled With It ? There is a toolbar, home page change option and Advanced System Care silent install options available during installation process. But you can decline it (opt out) and there is also other IObit freeware that they ask if you want installed. But you can skip or decline that as well.
8. Is It Stable ? Yes
10. How Long Do Scans Take ? The first time you run smart defrag. It may take awhile. But afterwards you can easily cut that time in half.
Overall I give Smart Defrag (2.8) a – 4 out of 5 – Smart Deafrg crushes most of its competition with great ease. I highly recommend Smart Defrag to anyone. Who is sick and tired of the disk defragger built into Windows. And that goes double for Windows Vista users. Smart Defrag is very light on resources and safe to use. Even for the most technically impaired computer users out there.
Smart defrag also allows for a very accurate disk drive fragmentation readings (Such as 0.15 % disk drive fragmentation). Instead of getting stuck with whole number read outs (Such as 1.0% disk drive fragmentation) That is provided as common place in so many other disk defragger programs out there.
Important Program Side Note: IObit has decided to add this program to their already full freeware suite. Via their ACTION CENTER. Which you may have already noticed has now fully swallowed all but one of their freeware programs. And now has become their new UI (User Interface) for IObit programs. Other then IObit Uninstaller. To tell you I am unhappy with this new development is an epic understatement. I hate having programs I want mate with programs I don’t want. Just for the fact they are from the same company.
I much rather not have Advanced System Care Free at all on my computer. Instead I am forced by their new freeware suite. That sort of beats you over the head to have it installed and updated or face a more then annoying LARGE RED error message notice to “FIX ALL PROBLEMS/ERRORS“.
**Link You Can Use To Download Smart Defrag (2.8): http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html
Till The Next Review,